Pastime One

Lord Nrsimhadev's pujari had a very startling dream in which the director of the Temple called him and told him to bring some diesel oil, saying, "We are going to sacrifice Lord Nrsimhadev."You are going to what?!" exclaimed the pujari." "Yes we are going to sacrifice Lord Nrsimhadev."

"You can't do that, this is crazy."

"Just bring the diesel will you?"

Ok, I will bring the oil but I don't want anything to do with this, it doesn't make any sense.”

After some time the pujari returned to the temple and was totally shocked to see that everything had been completely burned by a great fire and all that remained of the Deity was his feet and ankles. Early next morning he approached the chief pujari and asked if he could explain the meaning of this terrible nightmare. After thinking for awhile, he began to smile and said "Oh yes, you see yesterday was the start of jaladan (the festival of dripping water on salagram for one month), but we forgot to observe it, therefore Lord Nrsimhadev is letting you know that He is burning up and you should immediately begin the jaladan," which we did!

Pastime Two

Once, Lord Nrsimhadev's worship was going on as usual when the pujari noticed that one flower fell from Nrsimhadev's garland. The pujari asked the visitors if anyone was offering any special prayers to Lord Nrsimhadev. The visitors in front did not say anything, but from the back one lady came forward with tears in her eyes. She said, "My daughter got married about four or five years ago and she has no issue. The people in my son-in-law's house consider it inauspicious. So I was praying to Nrsimhadev that He might help her in her desperate situation." Then the pujari said, "Your prayer is granted, the symptom is that this flower fell from Nrsimhadev's garland. Please take this and keep it nicely. You can wash this flower and give the water to your daughter to drink." Then the lady left, and later the pujari forgot the incident.

After one year, the same devotee, along with her daughter, son-in-law and a newborn baby came smiling to Nrsimhadev. She reminded the pujari about the prayer she made one year back, as a result of which her daughter gave birth to a very nice baby boy, whom they named Prahlad. And once again they offered a very nice puja (offering) to Lord Nrsimhadev.

Pastime three

One of our Namahatta devotees, Kalyanit dasi, has two daughters, the elder one is Prathibha and the younger is Anubha. Both of them are married, and they have grown-up children. They both live in the same city, Berhampur. Once the husband of Prathibha fell extremely sick and was in a coma, near to death. Along with the other relatives the younger sister, Anubha, was also in great anxiety about her brother-in-law's situation. She went to the hospital, and as she was a devotee, she prayed to Lord Nrsimhadev (at ISKCON Mayapur) to help her brother-in-law. She came home and went to bed with a heavy heart. At the end of the night she had a dream in which Lord Nrsimhadev came near to her and told her, "Don't worry, your brother-in-law is ok." And then her dream broke. In the morning the news came from the hospital that the patient was doing well, his saline drip and oxygen had both been removed, and he was now able to talk.

Pastime four

There was a fight in a village, and in the course of the fight one person was attacked with acid as a result of which his whole face was burnt and terribly disfigured. The sight of one of the eyes was completely lost and the other eye had only about 10% vision. The doctors said that the remaining eye, through which he had 10% vision, would also go blind very soon. They suggested taking the patient to Vellore (South India) for further treatment, to see if they could do something about it. At that time a devotee who was there, suggested that they should pray to Lord Nrsimhadev for the recovery of his eyes. As a result they prayed to Lord Nrsimhadev (at ISKCON Mayapur). The next day, much to the doctor's surprise, it was found that the patient could see everything very nicely.

Pastime five

One Russian lady used to make tulasi garlands for Nrsimhadev every day. Being pleased with her, Nrsimhadev's pujari gave her one of Lord Nrsimhadev's false finger nails as prasad. She took it and kept it with her. That night she had a dream in wich she saw that Lord Nrsimhadev had come to her and was sitting one her bed. The Lord then put His fingers with His long nails inside her heart and pulled out something black and said "You see this? This is not love, it is lust. And there is still more here. What shall I do with it?" She could not reply, and her dream broke. The next day she went before Lord Nrsimhadev and asked Him to throw it far away.

Pastime Six

The father of one of the devotees of ISKCON your forum used to argue with him saying, "Why do we have to worship Nrsimhadev, when Radha Madhava are there?" The boy tried to make his father understand that Krishna and Nrsimhadev are non-different, but his father was not very convinced in this regard. During Nrsimha Caturdasi 2003, this boy, along with his father, came to the temple and was watching Lord Nrsimhadev's Abhisek ceremony. Suddenly the boy's father saw Madhava's face in place of Nrsimhadev's. He turned to Radha Madhava and again he looked back at Nrsimhadev and found Nrsimhadev's face as Madhava's still. This contineud for about 20 seconds. In this way he realized that there is no difference between Madhava and Nrsimhadev.

Pastime seven

During 2004 Kavipriya devi dasi of South Kolkata, a disciple of His Holiness Jayapataka Swami, made some bracelets for Lord Nrsimhadev. Somehow or other she could not come to Mayapur and offer them to the Lord. In the meantime she started becoming sick in different ways. She went to the doctors and tried various treatments, but there was no cure. Lastly the doctors said that her problem was thyroid. As a result, she would eventually be unable to move.

As she was in great anxiety, thinking what to do, all of a sudden she remembered about Lord Nrsimhadev and the bracelets which she was supposed to offer to Him. Even though she was ill, she made the endeavor to come to Mayapur to give Him the bracelets. After offering them to Lord Nrsimhadev, all the symptoms of illness were totally removed within three days.

All glories to Lord Nrsimhadev!

Pastime Eight

Thank You, Lord Nrsimhadev.”

On april 22, 2005, Revati Sundari devi dasi, age 8, was climbing on the roof of the bamboo playhouse in the Grhastha park in Sri Mayapur dham. To her great surprise she fell through the roof, landing on her head, and the roof caved in on top of her. She was in shock for an hour, shaking and crying and incoherent. She also had concussion. Gaura Baba, our wonderful homeopathic vaishnava doctor, treated her for concussion and shock and suggested a scan.

After three days, Revati woke up in the night vomiting black blood. We rushed her off to Kolkata. On the way, clear fluid was leaking from her nose, then violent nosebleeds started.

We took her straight to a good pediatrician, who immediately called in the top neurologist in the city. He ordered a CT scan and then, seeing the results, he sent us to a very good neurosurgeon, who has his own private hospital. Revati was admitted straight away.

The symptoms continued through the night, and we found out that the clear fluid from her nose was the brain fluid (CFS)leaking out. The scan clearly showed a fracture in the floor of her brain, from which the brain fluid was escaping. Also her brain was swollen and blood was pooling there, causing pressure. She had extreme pain in her head which was unabated since the accident. The doctors worked on her for a couple of days, giving her medicine intravenously. The whites of her eyes became totally red. She was like a limp rag with little interest in anything.

Finally the doctors said that the next morning, early, they would do a special scan showing all the sections of her brain to determine the exact extent of the injuries and then would probably decide to operate to repair the damage. They would tell us their decision by 9 am.

I phoned Pankajanghri Prabhu, explaining the situation and asking him to please pray to Lord Nrsimhadev. He immediately said he would do a full puja (offering) between 5 and 7 am, complete with abhisekha and everything else. This was the time of the special scan.

The next morning when I met the doctors, they were looking amazed and said that the new scan showed that the injuries were miraculously almost healed. All the symptoms such as pain, violent nosebleeds, brain fluid leakage, vomiting, etc. had abruptly stopped.

When I went in to see Revati, she was sitting up in bed looking bright-eyed and fresh, and her eyes were fully white again. Thank you, Lord Nrsimhadev!

In gratitude and love, your servant Racitambara dasi

Pastime Nine

Lord Nrsimhadev shows His mercy even to a non-devotee.

Yasoda Mata's 85 year old foster father passed away two months ago.

During his stay in the hospital, Yasoda Mata prepared a tape recorder and played the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra all day long in his ward. Her foster father was actually in semi-coma, but miraculously when he heard the maha-mantra, gradually he awoke and with closed eyes he appeared to be enjoying the music and the sound vibration.

He started to follow the tempo by tapping his hand on the edge of his bed. His finger ring made the sound like "don, don, don" "don don don"..." He looked like he was totally meditating on the Maha mantra. Suddenly he spoke, "Look! There is a huge five-clawed man, and his head looks just like a lion's. He is coming into my ward. Don't you see him? He is coming." The foster father still with eyes closed said. "Oh, yes, I forgot you all cannot see him, but he is really here. I do not know who he is."

At that moment Yasoda Mata and her daughters looked at each other in great surprise and answered, " Father, He is Lord Nrsimhadev," "What dev???” he asked. “I don't know Him. But He is nodding His head to tell me that He is."

Yasoda Mata felt great ecstasy in hearing this, for in her house she keeps a model of the Nrsimha Deity from Mayapur and had been offering heartfelt prayers to Him so that her father could leave the body without any attachment and that his soul can become Krishna's devotee in his next birth.

Continuously her father said, "Look, He is smiling to me and starting to speak again. Oh, He is telling me that I have to learn to chant what you are chanting now. What exactly are you chanting?" He said.

"It is a mantra to call the holy name of Lord," Yasoda Mata replied.

"I don't know what mantra, but please teach me," he said.

"All right father, please repeat after me and listen carefully--Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare." Yasoda Mata taught her foster father word by word patiently. Without taking a long time, he learned and tried to chant, and chanted so nicely.

The next day he passed away with tranquility.

During that weekend we devotees here congregated together to do the kirtan(chanting) for Yasoda Mata's father at the funeral service. Yasoda Mata prepared the prasadam garland, Ganga water, tulasi and put tilak on her father, which have all been done nicely and properly according to her guru maharaj His Holiness Giridhari Swami's telephone instruction. Her foster father's face looked so peaceful. His cheeks were a little pink and his body was soft. After some customary ceremonies, the body was sent to the incinerator. A few hours later the people who work in the memorial service came to us and and exclaimed to us in amazement, "We have never seen anyone's ashes look so white and beautiful like jade as your father's! What happened to him? What were you chanting for him? Could you write it down for us? We want to learn and we think we can also chant while doing our service here."

Why the Lord personally appeared before someone who we consider is not a devotee proves the scriptural statement that if one is always engaged in the devotional service of the Lord, all their family members will be benefited as well.

From Lin Tulip, Taiwan, 20th March 2006.